How do I know when my bankruptcy case is completed, and I am no longer in bankruptcy?

Posted on September 12, 2013. Filed under: Chapter 13 Bankruptcy, Chapter 7 Bankruptcy, Consumer Alerts | Tags: |


At the conclusion of an individual’s bankruptcy case, the court enters an order closing the case, and a copy of this order is sent to the debtor. Unless the trustee has assets to distribute to creditors, case closing takes place fairly quickly in Chapter 7 cases. In Chapter 13, the case will not be closed until after the debtor finishes making payments under the plan. The case will also be closed if the court enters an order of dismissal.

photo credit: mfhiatt via photopin cc

Make a Comment

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

3 Responses to “How do I know when my bankruptcy case is completed, and I am no longer in bankruptcy?”

RSS Feed for Kentucky Bankruptcy Attorney – Call Toll Free Today 1-888-651-9353 or 270-651-7777 Comments RSS Feed

My Chap 13 was listed as completed and closed by the trustee on 7/26/13. The last payment was made on 9/3/13 and I was sent my check for overpayment along with a letter from the trustee that I have completed my Chap 13 to the full satisfaction of the court. When do I get my discharge papers. I can’t get any response from my attorney about this. I just want to know if they have petitioned the court for my discharge. I have left numerous emails with three different attorneys and have yet to receive a response. I need to sell my house but I can’t without the discharge.

It sounds like you should be receiving your discharge order in the mail from the Court soon. If you don’t have it in the next couple of weeks, call your attorney or the Chapter 13 Trustee to check on it. Good luck !

Thanks for your help John. I’ll keep you posted.

Where's The Comment Form?

Liked it here?
Why not try sites on the blogroll...

%d bloggers like this: